Dinsdag 26 Maart 2024



The firsts perfect cycling day but lets just go back to my host of last night. Had a lovely time with Elsa Thiele and slept like a rock! As today was an easy day, I decided to delay my departure 06:30 and only got up at 05:30. I only got going at 06:40. 


The sky was clear with mist in the valleys. After 3 km I was in the mist and that stayed with me for the next 5 km. Thereafter I had beautiful sunshine for the rest of the day. My route took me past Bosangoma, where I was due to sleep last night and it took me 1:15 to cover the 13 km to that turn-off. The nect 20 or so kilometers were initially mostly uphill and amongst the hills. Once over the top I was amongst wheat fields. Onto the R44 and then for 7 km on the R33. Fortunately there was not much traffic as there is very little shoulder. 



I then turned right on the R43. Generally the road surface was excellent, but every now and then I had to negotiate through a mud pool. I managed all these reasonably well and stopped a number of times to scrape the excess mud off my wheels. The road was meandering through the country side with a number of wheat fields. I then went a area with natural growth of mistly grass. Every herecand there was a number of dwellings. I also saw a number of people who I "labeled" as those unemployed who stopped looking for work judging from their age. Every here and there were, mostly older ladies, cutting the grass next to the road. One of the things which facinate me is that it is mostly elderly, over weight ladies and they bend over and cut the grass. I can just imagine what their backs myst feel like after a day's work. i aldo suppose this us some form of creating employment. If only they do it next to the larger roads as there the grass is more than a meter high right up the the tar. 


My travels took me onto a road of which I did not get the number, except for a sign stating "Blood River Poort". This was with 26 km to my destination. At this point my average speed was 10.4 kph. The next 26 km was mostly downhill and it took me only an hour and a half to cover this distance, increasing my average speed to 11.9 kph. 





This last photo is the crossing of Bloedrivier. The sign on the left says Bloed with the river sign below it.

I arrived at Indwe Farm Stay just after 13:00 and was welcomed by the owner who directed me to the "cabin". There also us a "glamping tent" i asked about supper and he indicated that I will get food off their table, which he will bring to the cabin and then as an after thought he said that I could join them. I accepted that offer with both hands as it is much better to eat with someone else, than to eat on your own! 


And so ended another day of cycling. I am getting "spoiled" with all these "shorter" days and will have to get mind around ding some greater distances in days coming. Today I passed the 1,000 km mark. Total distance done now stand at 1,042.19 kilometers. Tomorrow's distance will probably be in the nineties with very few level areas. The profile very much look like a crocodile's teeth! I may deviate from my planned route as my host said it is mostly through rural areas and he suggested a more scenic route. 





Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking