Vrydag 05 April 2024

BB2BB2 Day 23

 


What a day! Unkown prayers were answered today, but more about that later. 


Last night I stayed with NJ and Siphokazi Dlaza in Vuvu. They vacated their bed and let me sleep in it! Wonderful people and I remember staying with them and sleeping in the same bed during the 2014 Freedom Challenge(FC). This morning I once again had a healthy mielie meal porridge to see me on my way. I took the bread and "vetkoek" provided for breakfast, along for lunch. Sophokazi also boiled three eggs which I added to my lunch pack. 


I got going at around 06:30. Once again the road out of Vuvu was very undulating. After 8 km I passed the spot where the FC goes straight up the mountain to the famous blue container on the edge of the mountain. This was used to monitor cattle theft, but is now abandant. I continued along the road for another 10 or so kilometers until I got to the point where a track, which used to be a road turned off to the right. What used to be a road now is only a footpath and cattle track. It does appear on Tracks4Africa but can only be used by cattle, cyclists and adventure motor cyclists. Now and then one can see that it once was a vehicle track, but most of the way it now only consist of a cattle track. It does goes up diagonally to the mountain, so the gradient is not too severe, but most of it is not ridable due to the condition which is norrow cattles tracks or very rocky sections. The length was just over 4 km and took me more than an hour to complete. It did ocur to me that if something had to happen to me now, it will be very difficult to evacuate me from here. 










Once on the plato I was able to get back to cycling. I planned to take a rest and have something to eat as soon as I got to the top, but then it started to rain and there was only grasslands and nothing to hide under out of the rain. I stopped to put my rain jacket on and cover my backpack. It did not rain to hard and I cycled past the old abandonded Philipspost police station. Also called Mcambalala. I remember commenting about the excellent condition of the road from here while doing the 2019 FC. This deteriorated remarkably since then. Going was slow. 



There were some serious clouds towards Naudesnek, where I was heading, so I thought to myself that if I get offered a lift while going up there, I would accept. The rain was getting more intence! I heard a vehicle approaching and pulled aside to let it pass. As it got level with me it stopped. It happened to be James Reeders, a farmer from Rhodes who came across that morning to tend to some cattle he had on this side of the mountain. I asked him where he was off to and the answer was Rhodes! He also offered to give me a lift. I accepted immediately and what a fortuitous decision. Within minutes the heavens opened and it rained cats and dogs. Definately not whether for cycling. This continued for the next half hour or so and if I had continued in these conditions it would have taken me an awfull long time to get to Rhodes, if at all! 


Once we cleared to top of Naudesnek, the rain cleared and the sun popped through the clouds. I briefly toyed with the idea of asking James to stop so that I could continue on my journey! This thought was sent over the boundary for a six in no time. James also agreed that it was better to get to Rhodes so that I can get dried out and ready for tomorrow. 


He dropped me at the Rhodes Hotel, which belongs to his aunt. He also offered that if I or anybody I know come cycling in this area again, I must let hom know so that he can be on the lookout so that if something do go wrong he will be able to assist. What a gentleman! 


Once booked in, I had a proper shower and washed my clothes. I hanged everyting out in the sun with just about no clouds in sight! I stated eating my lunch on the stoep. The next minute it started raining again! I had to rush to get everything inside out of the rain. Within minutes it was buckting down again! There was a fire going in the bar and after lunch I retreated there to write my blog. Sandra Reeders, the landlady gave me permission to dry my clothes in front of the fire. 






So ended another very fortuitous day in the life of this cyclist! All those prayes going up for a save and sound journey were answered in a special way today. Thank you Jesus!









Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking