Saturday, April 2, 2016

BB2BB Day 2

I set my alarm for 04:00 with the idea to get going at 05:15. The lodge provided me with quite a nice breakfast pack. In fact, it was enough to take some along for lunch on the road.

I did managed to get going at 05:30, but when I got to gate it was closed with nobody around. I did consider climbing over it as it was a normal 3 meter iron gate with no spikes or wires, but decided to see if I could not find somebody to open for me. After knocking on some doors I did managed the wake the right person and I finally got going at 05:42.

The next problem was to find the beginning of the service road next to the railway. The easiest solution to that is to find the railway and then follow that, which is what I did. After having to jump dome tracks, I did find the service road snd really got going. Generally the service road was in a good condition with some nice easy riding. I also did pass my first boabab(kremetart) tree.

I now was riding through real Bushveld, an area of our beautiful country of which I have seen very little in my lifetime.
The track had some very rough sections and a number washed out sections where ever there was a stream. After 4 hours riding I caught up with Casper Venter and a college, who cane from Louis Trihardt to join me for the day. They drove with two cars, leaving one at Waterpoort and the other at Mophane and started cycling towards me. Casper has done the Freedom Challenge, the Cape Epic and Race to Cradock. They are both strong riders and we had a nice cycle up to Mophane, where there are a number of spaza shops and we stopped for a Coke. From here to Waterpoort we were on a district road, which generally was in a very good condition with some sand and corrugated sections. After spending some pleasant cycling together, we came to the turn-off to my lodge and bit our goodbyes. It took me another 15 minutes to get to the lodge.

When I got there, the place was deserted with Radio 2000 playing. After a while I decided to make myself at home in room 1. I had a shower and washed my cycling gear. The phone rang when I got out of the shower. It was the lady informing me the establishment was self catering and that I will have to see for myself. John, the caretaker arrived a while later, on foot! He did offer to go and by me a 2 liter Coke. He also informed me that there is a restaurant about 5 km up the road. In the meantime I had the rest of breakfast fir lunch.

I have to have an evening meal so I will have supper at this restaurant. I can always buy something from a spaza shop for breakfast and lunch. I think I will have an early supper and try to get going at 05:30 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment