Vrydag 28 Junie 2019

Freedom Challenge day 11

FCRASA day 11

After  a good night's sleeo, we hit the road at 05:15. The route out of Elandsberg is fairly smooth and mostly downhill. The ride was fast and scary for me to a certain extend as I only had a light on my helmet, which did not iluminate the road ahead properly, but it all went off well and without incident. We had to taje a right tyrn after 26 km to the farm Longacre. As this turn-off is on a downhill and behind a buzh from the side we aproached, we did overshoot it. After riding around for about 15 minutes, we eventually found it. The ride from here through to the Cradock/Middelburg road was well marked and we had no probkens getting through. After 100 meters we took a left turn for another pleasant ride through to the Cradock/Graaff-Reinet road. Here we turned right again and had to stay on thus busy road for 2.3 km. During the time that it took me to do this 2.3 km, 10 Taxi's came past! The turn-off was to River Glen and onto Newlands where we arrived at 09:00. We were treated to an scrumteous breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, tomatoe "smoor" and toast. We stopped fir 45 minutes.

Next on the schedule was some good riding on district roads with one monster climb until we turned left to go up Garslandskloof and onto the Schurfteberg portage. We started Schurfteberg portafe ar 12:00 and I reached the top at 14:10! The other guys were between 20 and 50 munutes ahead of me. The descent diwn the otherside took me 20 minutes. I was just about to stop and take out my maps to make sure of my navigation, when I noticed the other guys about 100 meters down the road, where they were waiting fir me! We had 10 km to Jakkalsfontein, which once again included a monster climb, which I did managed to ride up. After a shirt down hill section, we arrived at Jakjalsfontein at 15:00.

Total distance for the day was 109.56 km and total riding time was 09:58!

1 opmerking: