Maandag 18 Oktober 2010

Bonnievale to Rawsonville



16 October is here. Set alarm for 04:00 because I have to be at Diemersfontein at 06:00 to pick Trevor up and along the way I must also collect my brother who will be bring my vehicle back to Diemersfontein. Everything went according to schedule. Treveor arrived at Diemersfontein at 06:05 in his new Kia Sorento. We transferred his bike to my car and set off for Bonnievale. Arrived at the turn-off to McGregor just before 08:00. Set of on the first leg at 08:06. Nice leisurely ride through to McGregor and onto Coenies River. The pace was reasonable, but I picked up that Trevor is struggling up the hills. We had a snack at the top of Coenies River while we enjoyed the awesome view. Just past Kasra Trevor's chain broke. Fortunately he had some spare powerlinks so we were on our way within 15 minutes. Up Trappieskraal Trevor started picking up problems with cramps. By this stage I started preparing myself mentally for tackling Stettyns the next day on my own as I though Trevor would not make it. Trevor had to walk up most of Trappieskraal due the cramps so it took us quite a while to get to the top. Once there, it was nice to cruse down the hill with no major climbs right through to Rawsonville. We were fortunate not to encounter Brandvleidam's notorious wind and had a quiet cycle around the dam. Due to Trouthaven being booked out for a wedding, we had to stay at Merwida, just outside of Rawsonville. Arrived there just in time to see the last 35 minutes of Western Province beating Free State in the Currie Cup semifinal. Trevor was pretty much "nackered" and decided, rightly, not to tackle Stettyns the next day. As we parked our bicycles we saw to other bicycles with map boards, which raised our curiosity. At supper we were surprised to find the Avignon' s, who did the Freedom Challenge this year, there. They took the train/bus from Gauteng to Lainsburg and was cycling from there to Bloubergstrand via Bainskloof. We had a nice chat and I picked up some more useful tips on how to navigate through Stetyns. Trevor was gone the minute his head hit the cushion. I was planning to get going by about 05:30 the next morning, so I also was gone by 21:30.

Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking