Woensdag 22 Julie 2026

Freedom Challenge 2026 Race summary


Freedom Challenge 2026 Summary


What an awesome experience the 2026 Freedom Challenge was! I now am the lucky owner of three blankets and the amasing thing is that I started all three events on my own and each time ended up doing the whole event with one person. In each instance I did not know that person from a bar of soup before I started. In 2014 it was George Wienekus, in 2019 Johan Radcliffe and in 2026 Tilla Uys. In every case I really enjoyed spending the time on the trail with these people. In every case we also seems to have complemented one another and "gelded" very well, never getting upset with one another.


I must confess, I did have my doubts about my ability to complete this year's event at age 77. I did tell myself that if I can get past Slaapkrantz and Bontehoek, then the rest should be achievable and that proved right. Originally I thought, if everything goes according to plan, that I could finish in 22-24 days. The first aim was te reach Rhodes in six days. That turned into 7 days because everybody in our group, thankfully, decided to take a short day to Two Springs. It would have been 8 days had SJ van Rensburg not "pulled" us through from Malkekonyane to Vuvu in one day, for which I am thankful even though it was a 16 hour day and I was pretty "clapped" out by the end. The ability of the body to recover is amasing, because over dinner I did state that that was a "good" day, having all ready forgotten about the "struggles" of the previous 16 hours!


I did also decide to break Rhodes to Slaapkrantz into a two day "jaunt" rather than the normql one day ride. That helped the body to recover. Slaapkrantz did turn out to be the challenge I thought it would be, but Bontehoek worse than I could remember for 2014 and 2019. I was thankful when we finally got onto ridable roads again even though the framer thought it wise to "grade" the first part just before we tackled it! I was sad that our "threesome" was reduced to a "twosome" due to SJ's accident, but that turned out to be a good challenge to the navigation ability of Tilla and myself. A test we passed with flying colours as we never got seriously lost and only lost in total of probably less than an hour over the rest of the trail. 


When we reached Hofmyer is 12 days and 15.5 hours, thus beating the cut-off by 8.5 hours, I knew we "had this". There were still some big challenges ahead, but from there life was much easier on  the trail, especially with Stettyns being closed! Taking nearly 13 days for 933 kilometers with 1,250 left and only 11 days to do it in and managing that in 10 days is proof that the second half of the trail is easier than the first half. This entailed three days of more than 150 kilometers and more than 14 hours each, but we did it! The hardest day on this section was Groenfontein to Pearston which included Schurfteberg, Coetzerskloof and Struishoek over 123 kilometers, which also turned out to be our longest day at 17 hours 41 minutes. Doing Struishoek at night was difficult. but no more difficult than doing in day light. 


Gamkaskloof from the support station to the bottom of the ladder was a bit of a nightmare. In 2014 this took us 1:20. This year it was a 4 hour 20 minute journey! We therefore decided to only go as far as Sandrivier on that day and rather have to long days to Montagu and Trouthaven. 


The weather was rather kind to us. A little drizzle here and there, but no big showers and although some mornings were cool it never was as cold as 2014 and 2019. 


The closure of Baviaanskloof and Stettynskloof, due the recent rains, was "disappointing" but also a blessing. Doing Perdeberg from Bucklands to Hadley definitely is more difficult than the "longer" Hottentskloof option and do "compensate" to a certain extend for missing out on Grootrivierpoort (Mordor), but Hadley to Willowmore is decidedly easier than Kudukaya to Willowmore! Stettyns is a completely different story! A Tilla said, she will be back when Baviaans and Stettyns is open, because doing the Freedom Challenge without those two do take a little of the "needle" out of the trail. 


The Support Stations on the trail is always a "high light". One does not really need to put too much in the 2 liter containers as the food is so good that very little extra is needed. I know some people like to have extra "supplements" but I ride on water and some energy bars and that is it! Some extra "snacks" like Mini Cheddars, peanuts, salamis sticks etc do make the "picnic breaks" more enjoyable! Tilla proofed that to me and I will recommend more of that stuff in the containers. The enthusiasm with which most of the hosts at the Support Stations welcomed us make the Freedom trail exceptional! Even sleeping on the floor in a class room at Vuvu turned out to a unique experience. I was disappointed in not being assigned to one of the homes, but actually had a very good nights rest on the class room floor. Probably due to the 16 hour!


A special word of thanks to Chris, Julia and the Buffalo Herders. You guys and girl are the backbone of the trail. I see Chris is looking and introducing some changes/alternatives. There will always be people who will be for and against this. This is a difficult subject and must be tackled with due care.


The Freedom Challenge is a unique event and something I will always cherish! I always stand in amasement on what David Waddilove has put together more than 20 years ago!


Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking