Vrydag 19 April 2024

BB2BB Day 37



Yesterday was the 19th day where the host either said I do not have to pay or a friend paid or I stayed with family or friends who did not charge me for accommodation! Amazing! There has been so much awesome goodwill all along this trip, it just boggles the mind!


I arranged to meet with Philip van der Merwe at the end of Swellendam at 07:00. When I got there, he was allready waiting. We continued straight onto the gravel road leading to Drew. This part of the country do not have many flat areas. You always remain amongst the hills. Nothing serious, but either up or down! We chatted about various subjects while cycling. Philip spent most of his working career with Pepkor, where we met, in the property department. He has been retired for a number of years and while he and his wife loves travelling, he also have partisipated in some interesting cycling events like The Munga and PBP! PBP stands for Paris-Brest-Paris, a 1,200 ride from Paris to Brest on the French west coast and back. We have not seen one another in quite a while so we had lots to talk about. We both also gave completed 33 CTCT/Argus cycle tours. When we reached the tar road leading to Drew after 2 hours, Philip went right to where he is staying for his son's wedding tomorrow, while I went left to find my way to Riviersonderend. 





My route was taking me through Melozhori Private Nature Reserve. I did contact them while organising my trip and they gave me permission to ride through it. All I had to do was advise the date and time so that they could open the gates for me. I arrived at the eastern gate just before 10:00 and informed them that I was there. A young man arrived shortly afterwards to open the gate. The gate obvious have not been opened in quite a while as it could bearly open wide enough for me to get my bike through. As the ride through the park is only 7 km and I would have had to call them again when I got to the western gate, I suggested that I put my bike on the back of the bakkie and take a ride to the otherside. While riding we saw koedoe, waterbuck and a giraffe. The giraffe was far away, but right on the horizon, so that was quite a magnificant sight!



At the otherside I got onto my bike again and had a nice pleasant ride on the R317 for 4 km before turning right onto a gravel road running parallel to the N2 but on the mountain side of the river. This continued for 14 km when I had to join the N2 and ride the last 7 into Riviersonderend on it. I stopped at Ou Meul for a Pepper Steak Pie and a  Mega Coffee. After 20 minutes I was on my way again. 



The ride through to Greyton was pleasant and not too taxing. The normal ups and downs, but nothing serious. I arrived at Lady Grace after 108 km and 8:30 in the saddle. Now there are only two days left. Hennie de Clercq, Johan de Bruyn and Jannie Steyn will be joining me for tomorrow's ride.











Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking